Originally Posted by Skidrow
Duh! Keep the chamber clean and the rifle will function. If you polish the chamber there's little left for the brass to cling to when the shot is fired and the case expands. That produces more thrust on the bolt and eventually will cause bigger problems. Chroming the chamber will reduce the chamber dimension. That's not a good thing either and may lead to problems chambering cartridges. You've hit a problem head on that our troops ran into in the sandbox. Keep the chamber clean and the rifle will function. wink Just for curiosity's sake, does he carry a round in the chamber or hunt with an empty chamber. If the action is closed with a round in the chamber dirt can't get in. If the chamber is empty then you're inviting all kinds of crusty stuff to make their home there.

I'm not dumb. I know if you keep the chamber clean it will function. He hunts with a round in the chamber and it still happens. The rest of us hunt in the same environment as him and don't have this problem. That's why I was thinking he must have a rough chamber. I hunt deer here with an auto shotgun, and have come to the conclusion that ,to keep it functioning properly, I have to totally break it down and clean it every 2 weeks or so. If I could find a way to lessen the need to clean it so often, I would. That's what he was looking for. He cleans it every couple weeks. Right after cleaning, it does fine. If he hasn't cleaned it in a little bit, and shoots at something, he may only have one shot.

Last edited by fldoghunter; 07/18/14.