Originally Posted by Alamosa
Originally Posted by baltz526
Here is what I found. If your hunting Elk in open country A very long shot is 400yrds. Beyond that the wind, bad rest, heart rate, heavy breathing, time to get on target, Elk moving all kill your ability to make a clean shot. I have a few Elk rifles. The 308, 30-06 class are fine 200yrd Elk rifles. They start lacking energy beyond that. 7mm rem Mag with 160-175gr bullets are fine for that rare 400yrd shot. Then there is what I carry most days when Elk hunting. 300 win mag loaded with 200gr Partitions at 2900fps. Good from 50yrds to 500yrds and a bit beyond if you have spent the time practicing. If you think hunting Elk is all about long shots, You need to hunt Elk more. Several times I have set up on nice Bulls at over 500yrds. Just because you can see them in your scope, Have ranged them with the range finder, doesn't mean you should shoot. Imagine you just climbed a 7000' ridge, Spot a Nice bull across the canyon or out on a spur ridge. Wind is blowing about 30mph, temp is 15deg up from zero when you started the day. You just spent 3hr hunting up the mountain. You get set up, sitting with your shooting sticks. Dig out the range finder and you keep getting reading on the bull. 535yrd then 615yrds, 585yrds, 615yrds. The deep cold and wind is screwing with the reading, your shaking from the excitement, The battery is cold. Bull is calm, has not seen you. You wait for a shot, look for a line of travel you can get closer. Longer you wait, the colder you get. The worse the sight picture looks. Wind is still gusting past 30mph. That is Elk hunting. Not some fantasy written in a hunting rag.

Good post.
For someone to try to convince you that you aren't shooting at long enough range is simply looking for an excuse to spout off.
Guessing you probably don't need someone from another part of the country to tell you about your weather.

Alamosa �
I�m guessing you didn�t read my post closely enough. Nowhere and in no way did I suggest baltz526 wasn�t �shooting at long enough range�. That concept doesn�t even begin to compute.

The only mentions of range in my post were with specific regard to cartridge capability, to agree that �elk hunting is not all about long shots� and to state that all but three of my elk since 2000 have been taken under 300 yards. (In fact, all but those three have been taken under 300 yards since I started in 1982.)

What I took issue with was that a .30-06 is a �fine 200yrd� elk rifle but starts �lacking energy beyond that�. baltz526 contends a .300WM is good to �500yrds and a bit beyond� but ignores the fact that a .30-06 can provide the same energy at 360 yards that his vaunted .300WM load does at 500. Wouldn�t that make a .30-06 at least an adequate 360 yard cartridge by his own yardstick?

I also pointed out that at 500 yards a .30-06 can deliver the same energy as many .30-30 loads do at the muzzle. Does anyone seriously suggest a .30-30 is inadequate for elk at muzzle contact distances? Certainly not I.

baltz526 describes one possible scenario and flatly states �That is Elk hunting. Not some fantasy written in a hunting rag.� While I have no idea what his hunts are like, no one I know has climbed 7000� up a ridge to hunt and if he is referring to 7000� above sea level, hell � you might be going downhill to get to that altitude. As to the weather, I can only think of maybe 3 years since 1982 when the weather was particularly nasty. Often we wish temps would drop to sub-freezing to keep the ground from thawing and turning into mud. Many years the ground has been completely dry with crunchy leaves and we found ourselves hoping for snow to quiet things down. We�ve learned to dress in layers because clear skies, bright sun and normal exertion can leave you sweating. It isn�t at all uncommon for us to �find the perfect aspen tree�, drop our packs, then lean back and take a snooze while basking in the warm sunlight. baltz526� description of an elk hunt may be based on an actual experience, as are many articles written in �hunting rags�, or it may be � and I suspect is - a composite which would make it a �fantasy�. In any case many hunters experience vastly different weather conditions than what he describes, including those who write about it in hunting rags. That isn�t elk hunting �fantasy�, it�s a fact.

A few examples, starting with 2003:
[Linked Image]

2005:
[Linked Image]

2006, hunting buddy�s elk. Mine is down on hillside in background.
[Linked Image]

2007, elk down on left:
[Linked Image]

2009:
[Linked Image]

2010, son-in-laws elk is down on far peak (382 yards or close thereto):
[Linked Image]

2011, with mud�:
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_13584.JPG[/img]

2012:
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_057511.JPG[/img]

2013, more mud under the snow, freezing temps would have been welcome:
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/20131107_085507.jpg[/img]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.