Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Most people can't shoot a .5 MOA group of 5 or 10 if they were given a proven bench rifle to shoot.

Its very hard to hold consistently shot to shot and takes more practice and discipline that the average "hunter" will do.

When I go to the range I am there a minimum of 5-6 hours handloading, chronographing and shooting groups. I see some expensive rigs get uncased and put away after a dozen shots and then another new face or more arrives for the next hour.

I put a lot of time into setting up my rifles with bedding, free floating, triggers, mounts, lapping and tossing bad scopes in the garbage.

Again it's hard to shoot good groups and even harder to shoot them time and time again week after week. If it was easy, the same "best shooter" would win the events week after week with more consistency.

Self discipline is the ultimate discipline.

And I'll be the first to admit most of my rifles are far more accurate than I am capable of shooting. This to me is more relevant that Formidilus' post. But his ideas are pretty spot on as well, when it concerns more professional/competitive shooting.