Can't really imagine what gear I'd rent even if I could. Seems the most expensive "quality" gear would be the attraction to save money.
Sleeping bag- $500 bag? There's a rent option that could save a bundle. But as mentioned, who REALLY wants to sleep in a bag used by who knows who? Whos been gassy in there? Who peed in there? Slobbered and drooled in their sleep? Slept with sweat and filthy feet? I know, probably no worse than a rented hotel room but no thanks, I'll use my own bag even if I have to have a cheapo.

Pack- Again, renting could save a $500-$600 purchase. But then, a pack really needs to be fitted to you. You need to train with YOUR pack. Pack it and unpack it. Seems to me it takes me a number of trips just to consistently load it in a manner so I'll know where to even look for things without having to unload the whole thing looking for the toilet paper. And what of the former renter who left an open can of potted meat in there for a week? Again, if you're going to do this stuff, you're gonna need a good pack. May as well buy one.

Tent- I guess this would make the most sense for renting. What could possibly go wrong? Other than the mucked up zipper the last renter got stuck during a midnight pee emergency... which required him to pee in the tent splattering the walls. Of course you discover the screwy zipper during your own midnight pee emergency requiring you to pee inside the tent too and so it goes. There are some good deals on quality tents these days, especially used. Also bad to take a tent into bear country that the last occupant grilled his steak and shrimp in.

Boots- Forget that.

Rifle- ditto.

Like I said, I just really dont know what it is I'd rent if that were even an option.

Last edited by snubbie; 07/20/14.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com