What TOM sez is probably true... as far as he went.

However, Nosler makes a quick opening bullet (Nosler's Ballistic Tip/boat-tailed bullets) in several different .30 caliber weights including 125 grain, 150 grain and 165 grain weights which would be excellent for deer and Nosler's excellent Partition bullet is available in several different .30 caliber weights if you need deeper penetration for bear, elk or moose with the Krag cartridge.

As you probably know, the front half of the Nosler Partition Bullet opens up rather fast, but the rear half remains in tact and drives through bone and muscle without breaking down, so the Nosler Partition Bullet is useful for your purposes as well... and no one can "knock" the Partition Bullet... it's "THE" big game bullet to which all others are compared.

I've used the Nosler Partition on large moose and it's retained over 71% of it's original bullet weight and the front half of the bullet has "opened up" perfectly while the rear half remained totally together and drove through heavy bone and muscle to bring down the moose with a single shot to a vital area.

I wouldn't be so fast to discount the old Krag cartridge... and at the muzzle velocities my reloading manual indicates, the Krag is almost as fast (muzzle velocity wise) as the once very popular .300 Savage. I.E., the deer would never be able to notice any difference.

Of course, you'd need to reload these bullets yourself or find a reliable person to reload them for you, but with the 150 grain Ballistic Tip which could easily be loaded to have muzzle velocities in the 2560-2595 fps range , the 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet would make an excellent deer round in a .30/40 Krag cartridge.

Of course, you won't get that much muzzle velocity outta a shorter barrel than the 22" barrel used in the tests in my reloading manual, but you'll be close enough for government work.

Enjoy life 'cause you only "go around" once.

Jus' my 2�... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...