Originally Posted by killindeer
..does one need? seems most my friends own like 5-15 rifles. as of now i own 2. i found a rifle i want but sometthing is tellin me u dont need it. while another voice says u can never hav too many rifles buy it.

Having written all that I did yesterday, I realize I may not have answered your original question. About 20 years ago I was faced with a similar situation.

Ask yourself what the new rifle does for you that isn't done by the other two. Does it work better in a given set of conditions? Does it allow you to hunt in a particular season?

20 years ago I had 2 rifles and a shotgun. I really could not complain about any of them. I'd taken deer with all 3.

Then a 30-30 followed me home one day. I justified it by telling myself that a 30-30 lever was better suited for treestands. The 30-30 disappointed me, so I got a 308 lever. That was a good match, and it's still my favorite rifle. About that time my sons were getting of an age to hunt, so I started them both on the 30-30. It has been the designated Yute Rifle since.

The next year my first deer rifle acquired problems that could not be fixed, so I retired it and got a pump in 35 Whelen. I really liked that rifle but it had a dinged up stock, so I never minded taking it out in the rain.

Since then I have acquired a bunch of different rifles. Some were purchased for my sons to use. Some were just because I was curious. What I can tell you is though I do not regret any of them, I could probably be happy with 3-5 deer rifles if I had to start over again. It just took acquiring 20 to find out what I really wanted.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer