I posted this over on AR as well, wondering what you all think?

I was pondering the possibility of cutting two FN Commercial Mauser 98 actions into two parts; the cut on the first action being closer to the front ring, and then cutting the second action closer to the rear ring. Then proceeding to mate the front of action number 1 to the rear of action number 2 and vice versa. (also modifying the bolts/extractors accordingly) Thus making a LR Kurz action as well as a LR Magnum Action, and being able to use corresponding aftermarket bottom metal.

There are better ways to get a short action as well as a magnum action, and I'm certainly not trying to dispute that fact. I merely think it would be neat to have a matched pair rifles in say a .250 savage and .375 H&H with actions that match the cartridge length. (I have a long action .22-250 that shoots brilliantly but the miss use of space is rather irritating.)

I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this, and I've seen shortened Mausers before, but have any of you undertaken a project like this? What was the cost of the cut and switch? I figure you could look around and find two suitable actions for 1000 USD and if it cost less than 2-3k for the change you'd be miles ahead of trying to buy a pair of originals.

This might just be a pipe dream, but I'm interested nonetheless.

Thanks,

John

Last edited by jauntymorel; 07/23/14.