Ok broomd, as long as it's for the daughter you should skip the nearly naked redhead idea. Long time a go I had an 20 ga 870 Special Field with a 21" barrel and I shot in frt of everything with it because it handled too fast. My nephew shot it well,so I sold it to my older brother for him. I handled every 870 version made at the time to decide on it's replacement. I settled on a 870 Express wood stock with a 26" Rem choke barrel ,20 ga. It is light and handled very well, the right length and weight. The factory recoil pad needs to go RFN. Utilitarian,I shot it a lot skeet shooting it smoothed right up and I was working young dogs back then and it took a licking and a beating. I shot a lot of grouse and pheasants with it as well as some waterfowl too. It won't take but 1 good season for her to put some wear on that varnish stain finish. Get a good pad cut the stock to her length save the piece you cut off for when she gets her full growth and needs it longer. Strip it,sand it, good oil stain, and a tru-oil or varnish over it. It will serve her needs. Still have mine, never had a problem with it. Only problem with the 28, 2 actually, is the ammo expense and they have fixed choke which isn't as versatile.MM

Last edited by Magnum_Man; 07/23/14.