I posted a leave it alone. I don't care about velocity loss as I shoot anyting from a 16"-26" barrel on my rifles. My favorite all around day to day rifle uses a 20" barrel but if I had it to do all over again I'd run a 22"-24 on it. I'd like to change the balance of it a bit more towards the muzzle end.

Cutting the barrel down from 25" to 22" isn't going to change accuracy or velocity enough to amount to anyting in the end. I also feel that lopping of 3" of barrel isn't going to make the rifle any more portable or easier to handle. The only thing cutting off 3" could do is change where it balances.

I like my rifles a little muzzle heavy, IMO it makes them settle down a little better for off hand shooting. If shortening the barrel a few inches doesn't affect that, then I'd have no problems shortening a barrel. However if you really want to change the way it handles you need to shorten it on both ends. Shorten the stock as well as the barrel and keep the balance where you like it, and then you'll see a real difference in handing and portability.