Originally Posted by Skidrow
If it's not drilled for the pin then it's not the right part. Get the right part.

Sorry, I respectfully disagree, unless you can demonstrate the flaw in my logic of the following.

As far as I can tell there are three hammer designs.

Two of them are from the pre-million gun versions [pre-tang safety design].

One of these has a screw-on firing pin. The other has a pin-on firing pin.

The post million guns [with tang safety] have a VERY different shape to the 'claw' part of the hammer that catches on the sear. It is narrower, and is at a different angle when the hammer is installed in the bolt. My sear would never engage with one of those designs.

I had received two of these 'wrong hammers' before from Numrich, so I have held those in my hands: both as a raw hammer and as a hammer assembly. This is NOT one of those hammers.

I have had both rifles apart, except for removal of hammer from firing pin.

I have a complete hammer assembly already that is appropriate to my rifles.

THIS hammer has the same shape 'claw' part as all three of the 'known good' ones.

I have all of the parts to make a second one, including this hammer, which you claim is NOT the correct one.

There are NO thread marks on the forward end of this 'hammer', yet is has the correct 'claw' part of said hammer at the end.

Numrich had it listed as NI, for New Inventory, as opposed to a 'take-off'. A 'take-off' would have the pin hole drilled in it. This does not, but is also listed as New Inventory.

At one time these hammers were made without a pin drilled for the firing pin. Unless you are saying the hammer was a cast part, with the firing pin mounting pin hole cast as a symmetrical void in the casting. And I've never heard of a cast firing pin, even ignoring the issue of how a hole would appear in a 'casting' without drilling.

Logically, THESE HAMMERS HAD TO BE DRILLED AT ONE POINT.

Again, it IS for a Savage 99. It IS for a pre-tang safety Savage 99. Both of mine are pre-tang safety versions.

It does not have ANY threads cut for the thread-on earliest type of firing pin. However it also does not have any pin hole drilled through it.

SO, what IS it, if not an undrilled new hammer? What is it if not the correct part, that is to be 'factory installed', or gunsmith installed now?

Last edited by Historygeek; 07/28/14.

Some Savages [99], and one or two others