Originally Posted by Huntingfool270
Opinion based on just one safari.
Take less clothes for yourself, camp staff will probably hand wash your clothes daily. This leaves room to take extra clothes to give away. When I go back I will pack two hunting outfits, one pair of town clothes, and fill the rest of the duffel with clothes I could wear if needed but plan on leaving there. I left them all my socks none of our trackers had socks but all took the pairs I gave them.Hats were a big hit I brought over a bunch of camo hats with company logos I had been given.
Take deflated soccer balls and needles, and individually wrapped candy for the kids we tossed handfuls of candy to them from the high racks just throw it behind the truck as they will run in front of a moving car for candy.
I don't smoke but most of the Africans we encountered did. Most rolled their own with trash paper and getting a store bought cig was a big deal. When I go back I will buy a case of cigarettes at duty free in the airport to give packs to the camp staff and trackers as a daily thank you.
I will also exchange my US dollars to local currency to give tips with. I tipped in dollars and they were appreciative but it seemed they didn't know what exactly I was giving them and they all gave their tips to the ph who I was told would exchange the currency and give it back.
I am tempted to bring a few decent pairs of used, or mid priced binocs to give to the trackers, to have binocs was a status symbol and these guys can spot game amazingly well without glass give them glass and it is almost supernatural.
I will also pay what ever additional baggage fees the airlines can come up with and bring an SCI Blue bag
Good luck on your Safari

Check with your PH about the currency for the tips.

If you tip in Rands (or whatever), they may disappear until the money is spent, which could leave the next group hunting with the PH in the lurch.

Giving the tip in US or Canadian $ allows the PH to pay out in Rands when days off are scheduled. Trust your PH who knows his staff better than you.

Alcohol plays a huge role in a lot African's lives. They could go on a bender until that money is gone. My tracker we picked up miles from no wheres on our way to the camp. Even though he had walked miles and miles, he was still half drunk and was only 3 days late getting back to camp.