Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I actually did a couple hours of reading online, at various gunsmithing sites, and found that the std metals for the major actions are all really similar. What hardness they're treated to was a point for conjecture. Remingtons didn't exhibit any 'softness' compared to others. I tried to find anything from Jarrett about 700s being softer. No luck. So I'm going to call Bullshit.
As near as I can tell, the general consensus on Remington 700 CM actions is their Rc value is in the neighborhood of 36 (though the late Frank de Haas claimed a value of approximately 10 points higher), which is about the same as every other well-known mass produced CM rifle action. (Custom actions, such as Stiller, Surgeon, Borden, etc. appear to have slightly higher Rc values.)

This was mostly a rhetorical question to thump Dicky Austin and the usual load of dogshit he posts.

Yeah I read your back and forth. You spurred me to some awesome research, so thanks! I want to know though how there was so much variation in the Rc values guys were getting. It doesn't really matter though.

One 'smith pointed out that many of the big outfits had gone to investment castings for their actions, so machined 4130 is more than plenty.

The other thing that stuck out was how much flex the 700s have compared to other commercial actions that are commonly used for builds, and then how much stiffer the custom actions are than the big names. Found in the pages of German Salazar.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 07/31/14.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.