Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by moosemike
I read online that the 7mm Rem mag will give twice the barrel life of a .264 Win mag. I find that hard to believe but what is the life expectancy of a .264? I'm interested in getting a new model 70 in .264 and want to know what to expect.

MM: Cooking barrels is something not to sweat. They are disposable goods like bullets. If it wears out you just get another one.

Buy what you like and don't worry about the 264.

Sometimes one comes across a rare pebble of truth... smile

I have shot ALOT in my reloading career... And I can't recall that I've ever totally toasted a barrel. I've had two M-700's in .264 that I wasn't happy with for one reason or another... that went down the road! I now own two others. One, an FN Mauser with a 22" bbl, and a Factory Wby Vanguard w/24" bbl. And I'm working on a Pre '64 M-70 to arrive soon...

I've always figured that few shooters REALLY shoot out a barrel. Most just rebarrel because they want something different; i.e: new caliber, longer barrel, heavier, lighter, etc...

And besides, todays barrel steel is likely much better that it was 50 yrs ago... smile

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"