Originally Posted by LostArra
>>I don't think that a longbow is the way to go for a newbe myself.<<

With modern r/d longbows like RH is recommending I don't think a recurve would provide a substantial advantage. In some situations (women, teens) the lighter mass weight of the bow could actually be an advantage. I saw that when my daughter (adult) started shooting. She preferred the longbow and is quite accurate with it.

If the longbow was a Hill-type, ELB or selfbow then I agree with the recurve recommendation.

Nothing wrong with a longbow, but starting out a recurve is usually easier. Typically a recurve has a little more repeatable grip, is cut past center making tuning easier and often limb swaps are not to expensive. Starting with a light bow that is easy to control is the way to go - not that it can't be done with a longbow but usually requires a new bow to increase weight or a set of limbs for a custom longbow costs big $.
FWIW I have owned a several Martin Savannahs, Bear's and a Toelke Whip - the Whip was by far the best longbow I have ever owned, but in the end I am more accurate with recurves - and only accurately shot arrows are interesting! Shooting Trad accurately is difficult enough with adding in a handicap to begin with.

Last edited by centershot; 08/08/14.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope