Greed plays a part too. I bet the Waltons could spring for cross the board health care for their employees out of their own pockets, and still have a billion or two left over for their fun and games- and it's not just them. Add to that the lemming-like traits of the poorly educated/apathetic buying public and you have a recipe for economic disaster. Don't even get me started on the fact that we no longer are a manufacturing based economy (where wealth is based upon adding value to raw materials) but rather a service/consumer based economy hell-bent on creating wealth out of thin air. I fear (but sincerely hope not) that it's a flimsy house of cards we live in. I'm old enough that I probably won't be around to witness the fall of the Empire, but I'm saddened to know that the kids in my family will have to deal with it.

There's a reason why previous generations were taught ancient history- so as to take heed from the mistakes of the past. Basic human nature hasn't really changed much in 2000 years. Grab any kid on the street today and ask him about the Roman Bread-and-Circuses and he'll look at you like you have two heads. It doesn't take a genius to see that the same forces that destroyed the mightiest empire in the ancient world are wrecking ours today- apathy, complacency, and morally corrupt government, yet the issue isn't addressed in the public school system to any meaningful degree.

Yikes! I didn't mean to rant when I opened my big mouth! Oh well...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty