Originally Posted by cnaggs
How about unit 50? More public land? I really like the look of the terrain in the pioneer zone especially the copper basin area. How many people would you expect to be there mid sept? I've read alot of reports saying the elk numbers were horrible in the area and that you might be lucky to see 3 bulls all bow season, not sure if that's true or not. Main thing we want is an enjoyable hunt and not dealing with the crowds of people like colorado but If that's where the elk are that's where we will be.
I don't know much about Copper Basin. Most of my elk hunting has been on the other side of the Pioneers, units 48 and 49. I can tell you that the eastern part of unit 50 is as steep as any country you'll encounter anywhere. According to the harvest stats, as a unit overall last year there were 611 bowhunters who took 102 elk, 81% bulls. They averaged 7 days of hunting for the bow season. 17% success isn't too bad for an archery season.

Except for a strip of flat land along Hwy 93, almost all of 50 is public land. The easiest access to Copper Basin is through Sun Valley and over the Trail Creek Rd. It's dang steep for about 5 miles and rough as a cob. Once you're over the top, into unit 50, it smooths out. I haven't been up there in a few years. Someone told me that they'd bladed the road and it was better. It would have to be a LOT better before I'd haul a camp trailer over it.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.