Originally Posted by FreeMe
Been reading Two Years Before the Mast, and I found chapter 21 to be very interesting. A lot to be gleaned from this insightful record. For those of you who don't know, the author (Richard Henry Dana Jr.) wrote this from the records of his diary during the voyage. A great deal of it is about life at sea in the early 19th century, but chapter 21 is a brief description of the early history of California and the social order of the time. You can read it here......

http://www.bartleby.com/23/21.html

Excellent post. Richard Henry Dana discovered Dana Point, which is one of the more beautiful beaches in CA with a natural harbor.

Here's a photo of Dana's statute in Dana Point Harbor:

[Linked Image]

BTW, Dana Point Harbor is the most beautiful harbor in Orange County. I'm usually in it every weekend. But the harbor fishing ain't what it used to be.

BTW, streets in Dana Point are named from lantern hues so that ships knew where to dock. Dana Point has a fascinating history.

Dana Point Historical Society

And for those of you who like rock & roll and blues, there's none better than this: Doheny Blues Festival. Gregg Allman's "One Way Out" was an epic ovation. If you're in the area when it's scheduled, I'd plan on attending, if for no other reason than drunk chicks in bikinis are a lotta fun to watch.

Last edited by SansSouci; 08/15/14.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***