Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by dsink
I agree 100% with your findings as they have been mine as well. Now heres the questions. Full wadcutters and SWC both have sharp shoulders on the nose but the 40 s&w flat nose bullet does not so would they be the same or would the flat nose on the 40 act more like a round nose due to it lacking the sharp shoulder?

Well from what I learned doing ballistics gelatin testing in the early '90's the actual tissue destroyed is directly proportional to the frontal diameter of the projectile. The bullet meplat isn't as flat or sharp as something like a SWC or WFN, but still the frontal area that crushes tissue will be wider, and thus more tissue destroyed.

Now here's the question, is it enough to make a change? It could... I guess it depends on what you want from your bullet.

I know the military looked at flat nose 9mm bullets back in the '80's. I remember reading a report of a test of flat nose 124 grain bullets and the bullet out-performed the round nose in everything but barrier penetration. And that killed the whole idea since barrier penetration was of paramount importance to the Army.

So the military who has to use FMJ's has passed on the FMJ-FP. For a civilian, I'm a bit at a loss as to why you would want a FMJ-FP for defense when you have JHP's available. Unless of course, you weren't using the round for defense, but more for hunting, then there could be some merit.

I'd say a good flat point hard cast would be an excellent self defense bullet and I base that on wound channels in animals. Whitworth and I have both taken pigs with JHP's and flat point hard cast. Upon careful examination of the wound channel we were unable to determine much if any difference. The problem with the FMJFP's is the MEPLAT is too small and they do not always stay nose forward IME.
I do shot and use JHP's but they are not the end all be all as many seem to believe. A proper meplat hard cast will give them a run for their money in wound channel size as well as penetrate deeper.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first