Originally Posted by mikeone
If you can still see Rev,
That cool peep sight that goes right on the factory ring grove works well too.
Might need a taller front sight though.
Nothing more beautiful than a 1A 7X57 without a scope!!
Mike

Yeah, but that's the problem. One of my favorite rifles for shooting from a tree stand is my 1962 vintage M94. It's short and easy to maneuver around up there. I put on a Williams FP rear and Firesight front, since the pigs generally come out about 5 minutes before pitch-black, but even then my eyes aren't what they used to be. I've thought about just picking up a Marlin 336, since it's the same length of the M94, and putting a 1-4 on it, but for some reason that Ruger kept calling my name.

But you're right about the No 1a looking great "as is." IMHO, any express-style rifle (quarter-rib, barrel band, etc) looks great "as is." But for my hunting, I need something that will give me the edge in extremely low light conditions. That's one of the reasons I like the illuminated reticles. But the Leupold illuminated VX3 has this big hicky on the ocular, and it just doesn't tickle me where I itch. That and it has a 30mm tube, sort of pudgy on a No 1. I guess illuminated reticles can't be made on a 1 inch tube. Not enough room inside, I suppose.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown