I have had a new 4.2" Ruger Redhawk on lay-away at the LGS for about two months. Finally got the funds together and brought it home yesterday.

[Linked Image]

The main difference in this Redhawk and the others that I own/have owned is the caliber. I have never owned a 45 Colt in any form, so I am looking forward to working with this one.

[Linked Image]

I thought I would share my opinions of the new production guns with those who might be interested in my example of one.

1). The first thing I did was remove those rubber grips and replace with a set of factory wood grips that I had on hand. I know some like the rubber, but my preference is what counts here. (Grin)

2). Metal fit seems to be on a par with the earlier Redhawks. Crane to frame fit is not as sloppy as some I have owned; not quite as good as a few I have owned.

[Linked Image]

Fit of the trigger assembly to the frame is as close to perfect as any I've had in the past. This gun is not fitted on a par with my Smith & Wessons, but is excellent when compared to other Redhawks.

3). Metal finish is nowhere as good as the older Redhawks. Not that it is terrible, but just not quite polished out like they were in the past. Maybe that will get better as time goes by.

4). The action workings were typical Redhawk. Double action trigger was gritty and heavy (about 14 lbs. and single action was creepy and heavy ( 7 lbs.). I have already dry fired the gun five hundred times and that has helped a bunch. Gonna have to work on that single action creep, but that is typical of most Redhawks.

5). One question; does anyone know the reason for the ejector star change?

[Linked Image]

Was there a problem with the old pin-guided style or is the new style just cheaper to manufacture? Seems to work ok.......

All-in-all, I like some of the changes Ruger has made. The moving of that warning from the side if the barrel to the bottom of the ejector lug is a good move as is the new method of applying markings and logo. No more roll marking. It is EDM or something, but very attractive. I also really like the change to the plunger replaceable front sight like the longer barrels have had. Now to get to shooting..........

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug