I was out there mostly observing and holding Pam's beer for her while she got her shots.

I was tossing my "advice" around, which turned out to be non helpful.

She had a 70-300 EF/IS lens mounted on her 70D, also trying out her new manfrotto 3 legger.

She was using a remote trigger.

In my grand wisdom I offered the opinion that she might try to choke down the aperture and go with a slower shutter speed.

That didn't work for chit.

We found that shooting wide open in AV and letting the cam pick the shutter speed worked better. Focus became the real challenge, we selected a single focal point in AF mode and did the best to lead the arc of the moon's travel with the handy manfrotto ball mount. Let the moon come into the frame and snap away, repeat, repeat, repeat.

The damn thing doesn't hold still that's for sure.

We did try some manual focus as well, I can't say for certain if the handful of decent captures she ended up with had MF or AF, but I do know she did better in AV, wide open aperture.

I'm sure there's a better way, but of the few things we tried that worked the best.

Shots were taken in our yard, (we live out in the country) we found the darkest spot in the yard possible to shoot from. I'd say the moon was positioned about 1/3 of the way through it's arch across the sky, thinking it was possibly close to midnight.

Her 70-300 is the f4-5.6 L series, so "wide open" is f4

Last edited by northern_dave; 08/21/14. Reason: edit to ad lens specifics

Something clever here.