Originally Posted by 16gauge
Never really thought about hunting eland before.....saw some on my trip, and they way they ran was somewhat comical; don't know quite how to describe it, but it was almost as if they didn't have any knee joints....almost like a "fast shuffle", for lack of a better term.
My P.H. and his wife seem to think that this is the BEST meat of all the wild game; after trying wildebeest, kudu, and gemsbok, I'm thinking I might have to go for one some day....just to try a taste! They other venision was out of this world!
You said it took 3 shots from a 416 to bring it down....would it be possible to take one of these animals humanely with a .30-06 or .338 Win. mag and premium bullets? Would rather put any "extra" monies towards game animals, airfare, or whatever instead of a new rifle.

I sat down to Eland steaks just a couple of weeks ago during my most recent safari in South Africa, and they were as good as ever. It is my favorite wild game meat.

My Eland was taken with a 30.06 using 180 grain Norma Oryx factory ammo. I think I hit him 2 or 3 times, but my first well placed shot was enough to do the job. They are definitely big hardy beasts, but any projectile that enters the vitals will put them down given a bit of time. You certainly do not have to have a special rifle for them.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."