I've been invited to go on a prairie dog shoot next year - actually have been invited numerous times, going to make it this time!

Rifles that will be making the trip:

Savage 93 heavy barrel 17hmr topped w/ 3200 7-21x40, shooting 20grn bullets

Remington 700 rebarreled to 6.5 Creedmoor, topped w/ SS 3-9x42, shooting 123 Scenars.

Obviously that leaves a gap - I need at least one small bore centerfire, so I picked up a new Ruger American SS in 223, haven't bought a scope for it yet or loaded/shot the first round. I need help w/ optics and bullets.

Talking to some of the guys that are making this trip about how they set-up their 223's and they tend to load mid-weight bullets (55grn Vmax), zero their rifles at 200 w/ scopes that top out at 12-16x. They range the targets, but they don't click their scopes or use a reticle, just Kentucky windage (again, talking 223 only - they do things differently w/ their 243's, 6mm's, etc).

I have never been on a prairie dog shoot, so obviously I've got a lot to learn, but it seems to me that a heavier bullet w/ a better BC and a scope w/ repeatable turrets would work better for this. I was thinking of loading up some 68grn BTHP's and topping w/ another SS 3-9x42, mil/mil.

Am I on the wrong track here?

David