I normally fish still water for bluegills and bass but I went with a friend to the smokies up in N.C.. We fishe a small mountain stream called Big Creek that is a tributary to the Pigeon River that flows through Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. I had never fished for wild trout and learned quite a bit on my first trip. They won't touch a dryfly that is being pulled by the current on your line, thus my first lesson in mending. Second I thought a short rod would be better as the sides are a bit brushy but turns out I think a long rod would be better so you can hold your line off the water better and get a better drift. I caught a rainbow and a brook so at least I didn't get skunked.

I now understand more about trout fishing and had a awesome time, besides trying to wade up that creek. It was like trying to walk on greasy bowling balls went down face first once, gotta get me some of those felt bottomed wading boots.

With all that said and with Tenkara being so popular among bushcraft guys here in the east I was thinking a Tenkara rod would be the perfect tool to help negotiate the small eddies with several current speeds in your path. I think the long rod length would alow the line to be held up off the surface so the places with multple current speeds could be handled better. Your thoughts or experience?

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner