Originally Posted by las
From my use, I'd recommend a 225 or 250 BT for use. Probably a lain jane.

But where, exactly, in your kill did the bullet fail?

I question the placement at that range. Just to stir the pot. Still, one would expect some expansion.

Guess I could have said not expand instead of fail, but then it can just as well be a fmj bullet and not a soft point. I am just thinking if the bullet makes a hole that small through the lungs you can just as well pack your things and go home instead of tracking smile

About the shot placement, we regularly shoot head shots up to around 280 yards. Some of the meat is processed commercially and they only accept high neck and head shots. This will however be from a bags or bi-pods. Just to give you an indication of how guys get enough practice for these head shots, I was invited earlier in the year by a friend of mine to shoot 500 Springbok, 30 Wildebeest and 30 Oryx in 3 days. Although in this case it would be from a pickup truck you still get a good feel for a rifle and learn to take quick accurate shots at ranges between 180 and 280 yards. Some of these guys shoot more animals in one day than most hunters would shoot in their entire life.

I am looking at other options now for long range. Would like to try 225 Accubonds but they are not easy to get a hold of and expensive to practise with around here.

Pieter