I was amazed by the guide, spotting that goat all bedded up at around 5-600 yds from the highway at the foot of a ridge. We drove into the pasture above him, stalked 250 yards to position ourselves right above him. The guide had us exactly even with him. As we eased forward, we could see him bedded down. I crept forward, rifle ready and as he got up, stretched and started walking, I shot him offhand at 80 yds, bang, flop.

I asked the guide how he spotted that goat, driving down the highway. He said he was looking for black horn tips and saw this goat out there in the grass, bedded down all by himself.

Pretty amazing eyes, pretty amazing stalking strategy and sense of position. Wasn't his first rodeo, obviously...

He and his wife also guide elk and deer hunts as well as exotic species in AZ and NM. Great folks.

My hunting bud and I took Southeast Texas Nilgai burgers and grilled them for the camp the night before. Everyone seemed to enjoy them and we all had a great time.

A couple of year before, I met the former Philippine Minister of Agriculture. I knew some folks he knew in New York and we had a great visit. I still email him from time to time and will send him a photo of this goat.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/31/14.