Originally Posted by goalie

How can that possibly be??? Do any of you other guys actually go and kill stuff, grill it, and eat it, without using the forum's "preferred" boutique rifle and scope combo?

Been killing small stuff since the �50�s and big stuff since the early 80�s. Didn�t know back then and still don�t what the �"preferred" boutique rifle and scope combo� is. And I couldn�t care less.

That said, I once owned a Mossberg shotgun that was a true POS. The chances of me buying a Mossberg rifle for more than pocket change are about zero.

For the first 20 or so years I hunted with a $39 Bushnell 3-9x SportView. Much as I disliked the optics the scope was what I could afford at the time. It could and did take a beating without ever losing zero and never cost me a head of game. Still, and God willing, I�ll never hunt with such a scope again. These days I have a few Leupolds, most purchased used, and a bunch of Burris Fullfield II�s with Ballistic-plex reticles. None are �top shelf� scopes but they serve nicely.

Most of my rifles have been purchased used, some for under $250, most of the rest for under $400. I did buy a new Ruger Hawkeye in .300WM for $404 December 31st of last year at Dick�s and a used Ruger MKII stainless/laminate in .223 for $435 earlier this year at Cabelas.

This year I will be hunting elk with a Ruger American .30-06 with a 3-9x Burris FF-II Ballistic-Plex scope. Hardly a �"preferred" boutique rifle and scope combo� but it shoots 1� groups with Winchester 180g Power-Point ammo.

Daughter #1 will be using my 1989 Ruger M77 .257 Roberts, purchased used in 2004, with a Burris FF-II 3-9x Ballistic-Plex scope in the rings. She was shooting 1� groups with it at 100 yards last weekend and 100g TTSX and although she couldn�t hit the 8� steel at 600 yards due to wind, her bullets consistently impacted just off the right edge. Should work for antelope.

I�m surprised you didn�t espouse the �virtue� of using cup-and-core bullets, or whatever is on sale this week. This will be my 33rd year of big game hunting, the first in which I�ve used factory ammo and only the second in which I will have used cup-and-core bullets in a bolt rifle. Color me satisfied only if the Power-Points work as claimed.

If fact, that holds true for just about everything I purchase. The expression �You get what you pay for� isn�t always accurate but �cheaper is better� is less so.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.