I am the OP and wanted to follow up on this thread after the hunt. Thanks for all the great comments. I ended up going with the lighter Glock 23 40 SW instead of the Glock 20 10mm. This saved a half pound of weight for something that would likely never be used. As a backpack hunter that is a big weight savings. I did upgrade to Underwoods Ammo, which adds a lot of power to the 40 with little weight gain. Since I had a rifle, I left the pistol buried in my backpack until night. At night, I kept it handy in the tent. I was hunting alone and it did add a little peace of mind.

On the second night of the hunt, I awoke in the middle of the night to what sounded like a big dog sniffing the tent right at my head. Of course I am thinking it is not a dog. I grabbed the pistol, moved to the center of the tent and hollered at the noise. Things quietened down but I didn't get much sleep the rest of the night. The next morning I couldn't find any tracks since it was a grassy campsite. It could of been the wind causing the tent to rub on my sleeping bag. I will never know but it was comforting having a pistol handy in the tent even if it may have been slightly inadequate, I was at least going to put up a fight if something wanted in my tent.

The Tritium sights were amazing as I could easily see the pistol and didn't have to dig around for it or turn on a light to find it. When comparing the ballistics of the full length Glock 40 SW with Underwoods ammo, it starts approaching the performance of the 44 with a very short barrel with similar weight. The Glock holds more ammo and is something I feel more comfortable shooting. Probably neither is great medicine for Grizzly but better than nothing.