My experiences with close calls at ranges were all a result of sub-12 year olds nutzing around. When called out, their adult whatever's blustered about how responsible the kid was, how well trained, blah, blah, blah. Happened three times at my old home range, three different kids, three different proud papas. One, the scariest, was the eight year old who reloaded his dad's M-1 carbine mag while we were all down range hanging targets, then thought he would do Pop a favor by saving him the trouble of pushing it into the gun and chambering a round. Of course, it went off accidentally- scaring the crap out of us. Theretofore, the old man had been bragging about how well trained Sonny Boy was. We bid them both a fond farewell, post haste. Do little kids at a range make me nervous? Yep. Do little kids lugging a loaded rifle almost as tall as they are in the crowded deer woods make me nervous? Yep. In 50 years of shooting/hunting I can't tell you how many proud Papas I've encountered who couldn't wait a couple years for a bit more maturity to season their kids before starting them out. In a hurry to start making memories? Chill out, there's plenty of time and you might well prevent a horrible accident...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty