I almost never watch hunting shows, but I did watch a Shockey program about bear hunting n Vancouver Island, just because I had recently been to the island.
Shockey and his partners are stalking up a salmon stream looking for bears. Shockey gets close to a bear but can't shoot because of position, brush. Then, while 30 yards from the bear, he removes the quiver from the bow. The bear hears the metallic sound and bolts.
Later, supposedly farther up the river, they encounter another bear, and the bear watches while Shockey gets well within bow range. The bear is laying down, or sitting, so Shockey backs out, comes in from another angle, and the bear still watches him. He throws sticks to get the bear to move and finally the bear gives him a good shot and he kills it. Did anybody else see this show? If so, did any of it seem strange?
I never heard an explanation of why he'd remove the quiver from the bow during a stalk, and can't understand why the second bear would let someone approach to within 20 yards or so and remain there for several minutes.

Thanks.

Fred