I have 2 older Shilohs an LRE in 50-140 and a Saddle gun in 40-70 2.1" BN. The 50 came with 40 rds of Bell brass and 15 rds of Garrett brass. Over the years I added 40 rds of 50 basic RCBS(Bell) to that, 80 rds of Eldorado 60 rds of SWA(South West Montana Armory)? and a few Bertrams for bad measure.All the brass is extruded except the SWA cases are turned. Consistancy? get the hell outta here. Inexpensive? $3+ ea. Shoot it took 24 years to collect that motley assortment and I'll bet it's the finest collection of working brass for the 50-140 in the country.The Bell stuff was just here and there when I lucked into it, the Eldorado I just didn't buy enough of it $75 a box back then. The SWA I fell into at a little gunshop, 3boxes for $150 that's the cost price and he was damn glad to be rid of them.
On the other hand the 40-70 2.1" is formed out of easy to find 45-70's and all of mine are on WW cases, don't confuse this with a 40-70 SBN which is 2.25" long and needs forming from stretched 45-70's or the better option of 45-2.4" trimmed. So if a guy wants a 40-70 SBN it's a dollar a case plus a set of $100-$200 dies . Atleast great brass is available for it to be made of.
When I finally ordered my 3rd Shiloh it was a 45 2 7/8" why? I tell you, Norma makes the best damned brass for it that can be imagined, I've never ever heard one reasonable complaint again it other than it's expensive, $2 a case.
Nobody makes a correct headstamped 40-70 Sharps straight case, well maybe Bertram but most comes from 405 Hornady stock,streched 30-40 Krags all of which have to have the right reamer or you have rim thickness problems.
The 44-77-90 SBN are only made by Jamison in runs when the demand and there turn comes up. Another problem is that the rim thickness on 44's is not std or shared between C. Sharps , Shiloh and the originals, Between $2-3 each when and where you can find the correct brass for the gun you have. Or hope like hell you can modify BACO reformed 348 Wins to work.
These days adequate quanities and supply of anything is the pits, you all know that. Yes, accumulating the brass before you buy or order the gun is +1 SMART. Guys that been around awhile and are connected to others in the BP sport have less trouble locating components than new guys. Think real hard before ordering a $4000 rifle you have NO brass for and is damned hard to get or expensive when found. Magnum Man