Recently I had the opportunity to take two gentleman hog hunting at my Texas hill county lease, affectionately known as �the Petting Zoo". These are/were active duty military. You know, warriors that put their lives on the line so that you and I can live in peace and comfort in the good ol� USA.

We hunted Saturday evening through Tuesday morning. Saw a bunch of hogs. Shot six, recovered four. IIRC the outlaw Josey Wales was wont to say, "the Buzzards gotta eat, same as the worms". So we let two go. Besides it was dark, the cat-claw, cactus and cedar was sticky/itchy and adult beverages were calling our names. Sometimes it seems like three fingers of Knob Creek Single Barrel needs more attention that a dead pig.

Well a month or two before this, VinceM had sent me two knives that had the same blade pattern that he had �handled� with stag scales. For all intents and purposes, they were identical except for the sheaths.

Saturday night one of the guys killed a boar. On the way to see what he had shot I encountered two hogs in the road. Shot both and recovered one.

We got the hogs back and hung them. That�s when I broke out the knives and asked the guys to use these to skin with. After I handed them the knives I then said. �But you�ve got to give me a penny�.

[Linked Image]

I think they thought I was nuts. Going charge them a penny to use the knives to skin with. I told them no, that it was an old tradition. You never gave someone a knife, you always had to charge them at least a penny so it wouldn�t come back on you and cut your friendship. They got the job done in quick fashion, as both knew their way around a blade, and these Russell Green River belt knives are some sharp.

[Linked Image]

Anyway, thanks to VinceM, I had the opportunity to show in a small way my gratitude for their service.

Thanks guys for your service.

Thanks to Vince M for making it possible.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.