I am not a collector, just a hunter with them. I pulled them out of the closet and: 1 solid frame .303 246xxx and 1 solid frame (was .303) now .22 HiPower I replaced with a brass rotor, 80xxx. I know I still have at least one steel rotor in my possibles box, maybe more if I pulled cabinets apart. I have seen a few steel rotors over the years when working on them. I remember replacing one for a guy that wanted a brass one. I have less than a dozen 99's, so I thought steel rotors were more common. My .243 has what appears to be an aluminum one, but I don't feel like pulling it apart. I still have a .308 I converted to .260, and that rotor is brass. I don't know, how many aluminum rotors do you see? Maybe the steel rotors were specific to an area where rifles were shipped at the time the rotors were being used. 99's were really popular for hunting here on the east coast for many years. What caliber were the guns you were talking about? I had to check, the rotors are seriously magnetic, cast iron or steel, not pot metal. Maybe we are not talking about the same thing?

Last edited by Gunplummer; 09/19/14.