Originally Posted by Siskiyous6
http://www.jgsales.com/7.62x39-s-b-123gr-sp-ammo,-20rd-box.-p-4356.html

I would buy this Sellier and Belliot ammo and feel well prepared.

I bought 300 rds of this ammo for use in my CZ527 carbine and it has performed pretty well, but for hunting I prefer either Federal or Remington's softpoint ammo.

The S&B ammo is brass cased, but the bullet has a mild steel jacket with a copper or guilding metal plating and in my experiments it penetrated deeper and expanded less than either the Federal or Remington SP's. Velocity was higher, though at around 2,400 fps for the S&B versus the low to mid 2,200 fps range for the domestic stuff.

On handloading the 7.62X39 - I've had my rifle for a few years, but have only loaded for it one time. I used Hornady's 123 gr SP, Winchester brass, Accurate Arms 2200C powder and CCI primers.*Beware of using Winchester ammo or Winchester primers in the CZ 527 - the CZ firing pin spring lacks the oomph to reliably ignite the Winchester primers.

I loaded about 1 grain below maximum and got decent velocity measured in the upper 2,200 fps range and fair accuracy of around 1 1/4" for 3 shots. Both the Federal and Remington were MOA or better, so I've got more work to do on this load.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile