Originally Posted by kscowboy01
When I went on my sheep hunt last year in AK, the guides were all carrying Kimber Montanas in 325. If more than one guide in camp is carrying the same gun, that says something.

Birds of a feather; go to 10 other camps & see what the guides are carrying........likely to be something different.

But you/he wouldn't be wrong for carrying one; just remember, the guides also need to be prepared for bear in AK & that's not likely the case in CO, or if it is, it's just black bear.

As for the mountain gun caliber, an 'o6, 308, 280 Rem., 270Win, down to the 7-08 are all good choices & very capable with good bullets available today. Honestly, I've stepped away from the 7 & 30 mags........the only exceptions might be a 7WSM Kimber if one came along, or maybe the right gun in a 300WSM.

As for the gun, I'd generally prefer a 22" barrel to the 24" but that's not a deal breaker.....I love the Rem KS that I own with a 24" barrel, but still prefer the 22".

Tikka is fine stuff, but not much appeal to me; older Rem 700 Ti's are available but pricey; the current Rem 700 SS Mountain is decent at a fairly reasonable price & are available; older 700 MR's are available & can be re-stocked, same with Win M-70 FWT's.

Not much of a Browning fan, but they can be had light & are easily available (I wonder why?).

Obviously, you are aware of the Kimbers & as already mentioned, some used can be had for under a grand with time & patience. Also, it's hard to go wrong with a Rem 700 KS if it comes at the right price.

Lots of choice.

MM