I was not sure whether or not to post this up for I don't have a pic of the 99 with the bear that turned out, but what the heck:

This was my first time ever hunting Bear, thought I would put up a pic of the one I shot after it was caped.
With the exception of one time we baited every other day since baiting began. We were on private land and using a barrel at 100 yards in one lane and filling an old stump at 45 yards in another lane. Both baits were hit every single day and we had multiple mature bears on camera including one cub with a white chest and one boar with a white chest.
On the 17th we baited as usual and checked the pics.
When we (two of us went in every time with the plan for my FIL to walk out alone opening day) went in to hunt on the first evening I was devastated to see that neither bait had been touched. We had carried bait in so we freshened up both baits and I sat........all evening and never saw a thing. Saturday afternoon we went back in and were relieved to see the logs removed from the barrel. The stump had also been hit.
I have never seen a bear in the wild and was taken by surprise at the attitude of this one when he walked out of the woods 200 yards down the shooting lane. Once he got to the barrel I was elated to see that he stood between the second ring and the top. Now, given the previous nights events and having never shot a bear I figured I better shoot. Just then he raised his arm and I saw he was the one with the white chest. I then hesitated because he was actually the smallest lone bear we had coming in. He immediately grabbed a handful of goods and ran into the woods. I started kicking myself for not shooting when a minute later he returned and stood broadside. I heard the 200 grain bullet from the Savage 99 in 358 winchester hit him and he bolted past the barrel.
I found it hard to wait much more than a minute to go down there and upon inspection I found blood everywhere and chunks of lung on the ground. As I was waiting for help and looking into the thick swamp for a bear I sensed something to my right and turned just in time to see another larger bear cross the lane within 10 yards of me......he seemed annoyed I was there and I heard him circle me in the swamp. I was not even sure at first that was not the bear I shot but once help arrived we found mine 15 yard straight in.
Sorry I don't have any hero pics but I was more concerned with getting him out an cooled down.
190# dressed weight.

[Linked Image]