First post here! I recently picked up one of the new "FN" Model 70 Featherweights, this one in one of my faves, the .270 WCF. I've had perhaps a half dozen Model 70s over the years, and have always been pleased.

This one, however, just doesn't want to group. I can't seem to get 3 shot groups into less than 2.5". I suspect that as the barrel heats up it starts walking the rounds around; dispersion seems to be evenly vertical or horizontal. I've dremeled away much of the factory bedding, leaving that which is behind the recoil lug and relieving that in front of, below, and to the sides of the lug. I'm going to try waiting, like, 5 minutes between rounds...see what happens. I'm thinking of just completely re-doing the bedding with Acraglas.

My question...relieving the bedding in front of the lug has left the barrel completely unsupported...it's REALLY free-floating. That pencil-weight tube is out there, waving around in the heat with no visible means of support. It seems to me that, even with a free-floating barrel, there should be SOME support, at least for the first half-inch or inch or so. What's the collective wisdom here?

P.S. I, too, was not wild about the "plasticky" look of the grip cap. My solution to that issue in the next posting. Stay tuned!

Last edited by johnnyo55; 09/24/14.