elkhunternm,

I own one of the JOC .270's, and they're not just made to look good. Dunno what brand of barrel Winchester put on 'em, but every one I've heard of shoots VERY well, including mine. The very first 3-shot group it fired at 100 yards was .40", with Norma 150-grain Oryx factory load. Handloads with all sorts of bullets have shot well under an inch. Of course, part of the reason they shoot so well is the stock is very precisely epoxy-bedded and the barrel free-floated.

I don't intend to rebarrel mine to 7x57, but then I already have a similar 7x57 on a Montana 1999 action (a sort of cross between the Model 70 and 98 Mauser), with a Featherweight contour Montana barrel, in one of Kilimanjaro's fancy-wood laminated stocks that don't look laminated. Oh, and a 6.5x55 on an FN commercial action, with a Lilja 1-8 twist barrel and a New Zealand walnut stock. It doesn't hurt to have that ballistic category well-filled....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck