Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Have been reading this thread with great interest.. Most of my fishing is with fly rods of some type.. My main fish were of course trout, with panfish & bass when I get into good country for those..
Now, my wife is from Mich. and she has expressed an interest in fishing with me next summer.. She has fished in the past in Mich., and said she wanted a reel with "one of those buttons you push to cast". I immediately thought of the old Zebco 33'a.. But looked at a new one when I was checking out the Shimano reels ingwe mentioned.. The Zebco sounded like it was full of sand!!! So I put it down..
I mentioned the reels that have the trigger on top and are used on a spinning rod.. That would work too I think.. Suggestions on a brand??
I also want to pick up a couple spinning rods for myself.. (She has a boat and wants to try for walleye north of town..) So I need a couple spinning rods and reels for myself.. ingwe felt the Shimano 2500 would be about the size of the old Mitchell 300.. I had a couple of those at one time.. Don't want something too heavy.. But still suitable for larger fish.. Folks have mentioned the Browning reels.. Good as Shimano???
Finally, I looked up the Fenwick Eagle GT rods. Found a 7.5 foot medium light action.. Sounds like something I could use.. Most of the rods in Sportsman's or WM feel like they are built for tuna fishing.. Since I am not a spin fisherman, would the light action do for our plans. Would that action be suitable. I would like to order soon as her birthday is around the corner.. At our age, it is difficult to buy something for each other that we don't already have two of..
All help would be appreciated...

The 2500 shimano is my favorite for a medium duty bass reel. It has the same body as the 1500s but the spool has a bigger diameter, just like the 750s and 1000s do. A light action would be ok but a medium light is far more versitile. Winchestermodel70 is spot on with the rod recomendation as has been echoed several times. I use a 6'6" fast action fenwick elite tech medium light. I have a 7' light and some shorter ultra lights but the 6'6" medium light is by far the most versatile. A 1500 shimano would do you well also. I have a great fondness for the pfluger arbor reel too. The smallest version of it is perfect for a light - medium action rod. A daiwa 2000 is a medium size reel also but I prefer shimano or pfluger based on my experience. I bought 3 daiwa pros at bass pro a few years ago, all but one feels like your grinding corn now.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner