Originally Posted by gnoahhh

As far as the strength of 1920 actions, and their two-stage triggers, they are what they are. "Stiffer" than a 99? Maybe, but a moot point as both qualify for handling. SAAMI standard pressures. "Mini Mauser"? Sure, but I don't think it has as good gas handling features as a M98 Mauser. Would I fire hot handloads in one? Nope- it is almost 100 year old steel for pete's sake.

I like two stage triggers, as did a boat load of ex-doughboys right after WWI, to whom these rifles were directly marketed (that new crop of bolt gun men who before the war lived in a world of lever gun domination here in the States). Take a few minutes to get used to it and you won't mind it a bit.

Treat the 1920 for what it is and it won't let you down. Try to make it into something it was never intended to be, and you might get your tit in a wringer, same as any other gun.

The Savage Model 1920 has a few things going for it:

-the bolt features a rather sizeable gas vent that would divert efficiently into the magazine should a case separation occur. Now whether a second or even third gas vent would be better is hard to define.

-the Savage receiver measures 1.425" in diameter, while the Mauser Mod. 98 large ring receiver measures 1.410". (1.300" for the small ring). Not really making a case about this, but it's a fact.

-The savage receiver is shorter and of the same diameter throughout, front to back. It does not have a thumb slot cut into like the military Mauser 98 has. This would, at least theoretically, make the Savage receiver more rigid and certainly more solid than many K98k's produced during the last years of WWII.

Take me well, I am not into the bashing of the sacred Mauser Mod. 98. I did spend lot's of time in whatever remains of the walls of the Oberndorf plant and spent lots of hours discussing with some of the guys who wrote the books on Mauser products, but there is no denying that the little Savage 1920 is an interesting and well-made rifle.

As to the question of steel aging over the years, I have shot many rounds with older rifles (Lee-Enfields, Gew98's, Mauser 93/94/95/96, Danish Krags and French Lebels (to name a few).

Any ancient firearm ought to be inspected before it is fired. Obviously, some have such high a milleage that they deserve retirement.

On the other hand, I see no reason for a Savage Model 1920 that is in top shape to fail with commercial ammunition or well assembled reloads.

The balance is called chance or even bad luck.

In Germany the DEVA (Deutsche Versuchs-und Pr�f-Anstalt f�r Jagd und Sportwaffen e.V) has been collecting statistics over firearms failures for many years.

My understanding is that, eventually, about 1 in 120.000 rifles will fail at one time or another.

Thanks God, casualties or severe woundings are much less.

Let's take good care of our firearms, respect SAAMI / CIP prescriptions, and hope for the best!