The W.S. will not care if the steel is high carbon or high carbon stainless, etc. It has helped a lot of users do a better job sharpening than they did before owning one.

As noted above, practice with your bottom end blades first and watch your follow thru at the end of the stroke.

I do not think you will need the higher priced Ken Onion model. The wider belts are nice, but the variable angle settings and speed settings will get some users to grind away excess steel over time by not going back to the same settings when doing the re-sharpening.

I sharpen my customs on an Edge Pro, but user kitchen and filet knives get the 25 degree fixture on a Work Sharp.

Whatever you sharpen with, do not go to a finer grit until you are rolling a burr on the opposite side you are removing steel from.
I prefer an impregnated leather strop vs super fine belt for the final finish.

JMHO
Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 10/15/14.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".