Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I have an old 300, is the 308 smaller?

Thanks for the info. I might buy that rod just to have a place for my old 300 to live but I'd still like to have a nice little UL outfit. It'll take me all winter to talk myself into dropping 200 on a rod though. As much as I like good gear I'm not sure I'm a good enough fisherman to justify it. frown

The 308 is ultra-lite sized. The 300 is huge compared to the 308. I have about a half dozen 308's with vintage ultra-lite offerings from Garcia, Shakespeare, and Eagle Claw. These reels are smooth and a blast to use. They had plenty of competition back in the day from Heddon, Shakespeare, Penn, and a half dozen other reel makers, but the Frenchies out sold them all for a reason. If you enjoy old, quality fishing tackle, you can't go wrong with a vintage combo like the one above. There is plenty of new old stock or nearly new rods and reels on ebay. Stuff that has set in a closet for 30, 40, 50 years and looks brand new. All of my rods were made in the USA. I don't do ChiCom stuff.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee