I admit that I have always had a desire for a light weight mountain type rifle in a caliber that offers efficiency and the ability to take deer and coyotes at longer ranges if the situation calls for it. A lightweight Remington with a mountain rifle contour and a fluted bolt just trips my trigger but I just have not had the cash to make it happen. If you had the same desires what direction would you go for the build? The easiest option now seems to be buying a 700SPS in .260 and throwing an AK Ti stock stock on it.

Though I have to admit that my perfect caliber would be 6.5 CM. I have dies from a previous rifle and as a round it just seems to make so much sense. Of course now we are talking about rebarelling and adding considerable investment to the rifle. The budget right now would be whatever I could get for my stainless heavy barrel 700 that sits in a Mcmillan A3 and shoots extremely well. It made since when I just had to have a heavy 308 but I now know that I don't have a good use for it...

It's an open ended question but what route would you guys go to accomplish the above goal for $1000-$1200???

Thanks,
Nick