[Linked Image]

Well, I drew one of only 250 tags in the state of N.Dakota this year. So we ventured forth to get a pronghorn. We drove all morning and started hunting after lunch.

Spied a small group with a nice buck holed up high on a ranch, but the owner wanted to fill their own tag, so....we kept moving and spied a small group from about 2 miles away in a cut wheat field.

Made a plan for a stalk of about a roundabout mile, in order to get below a little hill behind which they bedded down out in the open field. Left the boys behind on a lookout hill, then I belly crawled up through tall grass on a butte to get above the antelope. We only had two days so I already had decided to take the first clean shot presented.

This old dry doe volunteered at about 175 yards. I made a little commotion so that she would stand up, then shot her in the front shoulder as she quartered toward me. She ran a few yards, stood there, then fell over, but didn't act very "dead" so I shot her a second time on the ground. Rest of the herd stuck around watching for awhile.

223 Rem, Nosler Solid Base 60 grain, Varget reloads. The first shoulder shot broke the scapula basically in half, but did not penetrate very much into the lungs as I had expected. Second shot in the top of the back, through lungs, exit throat.

[Linked Image]