Though I manage a couple of nice private properties I still get my kicks taking a mature buck on pulic land.. So today I took a quick hunt after work today in the Francis Marion National Forest. Being time restrained I slipped into an area close to home that I had seen a nice buck at 60 yds during bow season.. As I approached the oak flat I was hunting the vultures jumped up.

It looked like a pretty good shot and was lying in the wide open. I can't imagine that there wasn't a great blood trail judging the shot and it was in the wide open flat and should have been an easy track job..

Not wanting to think the worst I suppose maybe an unexperienced hunter took the shot, lost the blood trail which I found easily or maybe he freaked out and went back the next day and found him? Probably weighed 160 ish but no tarsal staining at least none left to show.. Looks to be 3 days old tops.. The worst someone shot him,cut the antlers off and didn't feel like the 1/4 mile drag.. Either way it SUXXXX!!!!!

[Linked Image]

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2