Do you want to come goose hunting one of the guys (MH) I work with asks me. He knows I am an avid water fowler and he asks if I would like to join him and a buddy (MK) for a weekend at their cabin to go goose hunting in a new area to me. With driving directions in hand I meet up with them on Friday evening for a shoot they had spotted for Saturday.

Now comes the part where I find out that MH wants me to teach MK how to hunt geese. They had no decoys, no blinds, only one guy that wanted to shoot geese (MK)that had a license and a field spotted but no idea which way the geese came from or how long they had been using the field.

I decided it was time to give something back to the sport.

Saturday morning out come the decoys, blinds and I sit back and do the calling. There were quite a few missed chances with no shots fired and finally one shot and a goose fell, I said nice shot and MK said thanks but it was not the bird he was shooting at. The bird that fell was about three back of the one he shot at. The ribbing is good natured and lot's of explanation on shot gunning and the lead required for a goose.

We head back out to another field for Saturday afternoon and I give him my laydown blind set in the spread. I sit back about 40 yds in a ground blind and do the calling. Got quite a few birds coming in feet down and tight. This time MK was not shy on using the shells he brought but no feathers on the ground.

At the end he said he could not believe how hard his heart was pounding when I turned the flocks and had them coming in right at him. He was really bummed on his shooting but was totally hooked. We now have another goose hunter joining the ranks.

Really a great weekend to see the excitement on a total newbie that will really enjoy the sport. Also letting him try a variety of blinds and seeing different set ups will give him a great start for the future.

Last edited by HughW; 10/21/14.

Hugh