Don't know about writers getting away with statements but I've dropped 3 elk with a 25-06 - 2 within 50 yards were both DRT w/ neck shots. The third at a touch over 100 yards. All with Nosler Partitions.
Only the 100 yard shot did I recover the bullet and it performed as advertised. Passed through the back part of the near shoulder and stopped under the hide on the off side with a slight amount of bleeding through two small holes. No blood-shot meat on any of them.
I used the 25-06 at the time because it was the ONLY rifle I owned!

I've taken over 50 whitetails from Texas to Missouri with it and have rarely NOT had complete pass-through. Add to that about a dozen Mule deer, one at a measured/witnessed 376 yards was quartering towards me. Bullet entered the point of the near shoulder, passed through the near lung and rear of the off lung then glanced off of a rib before smacking into the off hip bone and exiting out of the hip on the same side as the entrance. Sierra 120 gr BTSP left about a 2" exit hole.

The caliber is my preferred caliber for most game but I now take a 30-06 and a 300 Win Mag when I go elk hunting.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.