Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
We spent the weekend with some friends at their cabin last weekend and they brought a pile a guns with them to shoot at their range. A couple of them were 45 autos, both of which I shot along with a nice Kimber 10mm.

I was impressed with both the 10mm and 45 and told my wife she should shoot them, which she did. She wasn't that thrilled with the 10mm but really liked the 45 and now she wants one for herself.

The 2 pistols were a Springfield and the other was a Colt. Are there some other brands out there that are comparable to these 2?
I assume you mean 1911 type "45 autos". There are tons of such pistols available and it basically boils down to which features you want at what price. Assuming $1000 and under there are several likely candidates. Many here like the relatively new Ruger offering. It can be had for about $700 or less right now. Taurus IMO, makes a good 1911 which is loaded with features. It is possibly slightly higher than the Ruger. Rock Island is the latest incarnation of the Armsport Phillipine-made 1911 which has been around for years. Most agree they are decent pistols for bargain prices. $500 or less for a base model. The Springfield and Colt brands can be had in several incarnations for at or under the specified price. I'd probably go with a Springfield Mil-Spec for her.