[Linked Image][/URL]http://[/img]

Opening day of 2nd rifle season on private land near Howard, CO. I was hunting for the 5th time with Bill Canterbury who ownes Track 'Em Outfitters. We were on his ranch and spotted a group of elk with a small 4 point and another bull we couldn't get a clear look at. The elk were headed out of the fields very early and were in the pinon trees going up a ridge by the time we got to them. Bill spotted the bull standing broadside at 275 yards. The bull was mostly hidden by some brush and when he stepped clear I could see 5 points on one side and took the shot from a prone position resting over my pack. When we got to the bull we found the odd antler. The bull had knocked the antler down next to his eye and turned the base to where the browtime was now a 37 inch sword point and the tines were a knot of bone jutting down the side of the bull's head. I was happy to have such an oddball rather than an average 5 point bull. The shot hit the bull in the heart and he went down, got back up and dashed down hill for about 75 yards to where we found him. I was using a Ruger RS in 338 Win Mag, loaded with factory Federal 225 grain Barnes TSX bullets. The bullet pasted through and was not recovered. The exit hole displayed an X pattern. The rifle is topped with a Leupold 3.5x10AO. I have used this rifle to kill 7 elk over the past 8 seasons.

Perry

Last edited by PWN; 10/24/14.