Thank you all for your comments.

I can't take credit for the load, good as it is. I purloined it from John Linebaugh's small list of 'personal loads' shown at the bottom of this article, which should be required reading for anyone reloading the 45 Colt:

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

On hunting holsters... I dug around a closet and found this old holster, which I built about 20 years ago as an indestructible hunting holster. It is loosely based on the Tom Threepersons holster; the crossdraw cant was stolen from a Thad Rykba holster featured in American Handgunner, about that time. I located an Amish saddle-maker who had some extra skirting laying around and the stitching was done by a half-blind cobbler in Concordia, MO. It has been wet molded to a 4" S&W Model 29 DA, 5 1/2" Ruger SA's and it carried a 5 1/2" Redhawk a couple of seasons. Once wet-molded, it gets hard as a rock and despite numerous re-fittings it has never lost that property. Yesterday it was re-molded to the 4 5/8" Vaquero and it is the perfect size for that.

Ugly as sin, but it is my most-used hunting rig. It has offered up the sixgun for 5 Bambis I can recall w/o thinking too hard.

[Linked Image]

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ